Sunday, February 03, 2008

Crispy chicken

Tonight's Menu

  • pan-fried chicken tenders
  • leftover sweet potato fries
  • green salad "bar"
When I made tilapia breaded in panko recently, the girl child mentioned that the same treatment might be good with chicken. She was so right! I used raw chicken tenders but you could easily use boneless, skinless breasts -- just cut them in long strips. I made them the exact same way I made the tilapia, but this time I seasoned the flour with salt, pepper, dried thyme and a dash of paprika. They were SO GOOD and both of the kids went back for seconds.

I'm not going to lie; this is more trouble than dumping a bunch of frozen, breaded chicken nuggets or strips or whatever onto a cookie sheet and sticking them in the oven. HOWEVER, just like the pan-fried tilapia vs. frozen fish sticks, you control what's in these things. (Seriously, READ THE LABEL on the frozen, breaded chicken bits the next time you're at the store.) Cut back the salt, adjust the seasonings, use whole-wheat flour, use whatever kind of oil you feel comfortable with -- whatever you're into!

Do try the panko, though. I think it makes all the difference in terms of crispness.

2 comments:

Shelly Kang said...

Yum! I do something similar with chicken breasts and I pound them flat before I bread them - helps get them to cook more evenly and quicker so its cooked through without drying out. I use corn flake crumbs because my daughter used to have food allergies and couldn't eat the panko - now that she's clear I really must buy some and try it out. I also love the baked sweet potato fries.

By the way, I think this is my first time commenting here - just started reading recently, and I love getting ideas for health dinners from you. Thanks!

Alma Schneider said...

I love this blog! I have listed it as one of my favorites on mine, Takebackthekitchen.blogspot.com. I run a business helping women overcome the psychological and practical obstacles to cooking and you cover so many of the topics I find women have with struggling to make dinner.
I recently posted a recipe for tilapia which MY girl child absolutely loved. The breading is made of pulverized oatmeal, pecans and whole wheat bread crumbs. I hope you like it! I also just posted about Cornflake Chicken which is good but not AS healthy.
Alma
Take Back the Kitchen