Monday, October 15, 2007

Not exactly chili weather, but I made it anyway

Tonight's Menu

  • chili con carne
  • cornbread
  • green salad
Even though it was really warm and humid today, I was in the mood for chili. I basically made this recipe from Martha Stewart, but with the following changes:
  • I used dried pasilla chiles because that's what I had
  • I used all beef (chuck), no pork
  • I used Glen Muir organic fire-roasted crushed tomatoes, just for the heck of it (and to add a little smokiness, which was really nice -- I'd do that again for sure)
  • I omitted the vinegar and used a tablespoon of sugar instead
  • please note that the 3 tsp of salt called for is a bit much, at least to my palate -- I'd knock that in half if I made this again
Anyway, it was really good except for the extra saltiness.

The cornbread is from an old Better Homes & Gardens recipe that I use all the time.

1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
4 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F, spray an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray, and mix the above ingredients together in a medium bowl.

2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 cup cooking oil

Mix above three ingredients together, then add to dry ingredients, mixing just until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.

No comments: