- chili con carne
- green salad
- I used dried pasilla chiles because that's what I had
- I used all beef (chuck), no pork
- I used Glen Muir organic fire-roasted crushed tomatoes, just for the heck of it (and to add a little smokiness, which was really nice -- I'd do that again for sure)
- I omitted the vinegar and used a tablespoon of sugar instead
- please note that the 3 tsp of salt called for is a bit much, at least to my palate -- I'd knock that in half if I made this again
The cornbread is from an old Better Homes & Gardens recipe that I use all the time.
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
4 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F, spray an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray, and mix the above ingredients together in a medium bowl.
1 cup milk
1/4 cup cooking oil
Mix above three ingredients together, then add to dry ingredients, mixing just until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.