Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Brisket

Tonight's Menu

  • spice-rubbed beef brisket
  • steamed potatoes
  • leftover coleslaw from last night
This was really easy, though it does take a wee bit of advance planning because of the cooking time. All I did was mix together some brown sugar, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, dry mustard, dried oregano, salt and pepper. Then I rubbed it on both sides of the brisket, whomped it into a roasting pan, added a bit of water, covered it tightly with foil, and stuck it in the oven at 325 degrees F for about two and a half hours. Slice thinly across the grain, and Bob's your uncle!

This brisket makes the house smell AMAZING while it cooks, and it comes out fork-tender. I usually cook it longer at a lower temperature, but the day got away from me and I didn't remember to stick it in the oven until after I'd picked up the boy child from school. It still came out just fine.

For the potatoes, I just quartered some red-skinned potatoes (without peeling them) and steamed them in the microwave. Drain, toss with some real butter (or margarine, if you insist), salt and pepper. Done!

Easy dinner. I was feeling lazy.

No comments: