Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Meat and potatoes and THAT'S ALL

Tonight's Menu

  • NY strip steaks with whiskey onions
  • tiny red potatoes, parboiled and then chuffed up in a hot pan with butter
That's right, bitches! Tonight we had meat and potatoes and THAT'S IT. Who needs vegetables, anyway? (Okay, fine. It was a crazy evening, dinner got started later than I had planned, and I couldn't be arsed to figure out what sort of green stuff to have along with. Happy now?)

The whiskey onions were dead easy. Ideally I would have made them in the same pan in which I cooked the steaks, to take advantage of the fond and whatnot, but I did the steaks on the grill pan and it doesn't lend itself well to anything saucy. SO. Instead I cut a large sweet yellow onion into wedges, stuck it in a high-sided skillet with a couple tablespoons of butter and let things caramelize a bit. I added a little bit of white sugar for good measure, then poured in about a quarter cup of Maker's Mark and let it get nice and saucy. Season with salt and pepper and serve with the meat. YUM!

1 comment:

Jaye Joseph said...

Mmmmm, Maker's Mark. Screw the onions, pass me the bottle please.