Saturday, October 07, 2006

Cooking disasters: The crock pot o' blandness

Okay, so here's what happened. Yesterday I fancied something autumnal for dinner, so I did the following:
  1. Peeled a sweet yellow onion (Maya Sweet, I think it was) and cut it into wedges.
  2. Peeled a large Granny Smith apple and cut it into wedges.
  3. Peeled three smallish sweet potatoes and cut them into wedge-like chunks.
  4. Tossed all of the above into the crock pot and stirred in a bit of marsala and a couple of spoonfuls of frozen apple juice concentrate.
  5. Sprinkled a boneless pork loin roast with salt and pepper and then seared it off in a pan so it had a nice brown crust.
  6. Stuck the roast on top of the veg mixture and cooked the whole thing on low for 10 hours.
Can you see what I FAILED to do up there? Anyone? Bueller?

That's right. NO SEASONINGS! What the hell?! I think the fact that the garbage disposal chose to vomit into the sink when I was shoving the peels into it is what threw me off. (The trap was full. DH fixed it. Gross.)

So yeah, this was pretty damn bland. We made do with salt and pepper at the table, but there's still a lot of food leftover and I can't bring myself to waste it. So I'm left with trying to salvage this thing at the re-heat stage. Now I just have to decide if I want to go the sage-thyme route or the allspice-ginger route. Anyone have suggestions?

Oy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a lot of pork roast left over recently. I shredded it, added water and taco seasoning(heating it in a skillet), then rolled it with shredded cheese and salsa into soft taco shells. I poured red enchilda sauce and some half and half over all and topped with more shredded cheese and baked until the cheese was bubbly. YUMMY!!!

Badger said...

Ooo! That sounds really good. Damn. I never thought of making enchiladas out of it!

Anonymous said...

Ok, this is just freaky, because I made practically the same dinner on Saturday night! I cut into wedges a couple of red potatoes, a granny smith apple, and a yellow onion, tossed it into a crockpot with sauerkraut (I buy it in a bag, and drained but didn't rinse it), and then added a bottle of Heineken. Seared two 1-lb pork loins (I'd sprinkled some seasonings on 'em, but not much, I admit) and then laid on top of the above concoction in crockpot. Almost ten hours on low. We thought it was really great. DH ate the (little bit!) that was leftover the next day at lunch.

Anonymous said...

I made crock pot food last night too. Pork chops - floured and browned. Dredged in dry mustard, cayenne, season salt, pepper.

Put in crock pot with mushrooms and 1/2 onion. Covered with chicken broth with some dijon mustard, bay leaf, sprinkle thyme, and some hot sauce.

Cooked forever. Got some of cooking liquid and added flour to thicken sauce. Added some wine & let cook down with lid off. Served over yummy white rice.

And big salad. And biscuits.

celestial opus said...

I so relate. Did something similiar yesterday when making crockpot applesauce. Remembered all the yummy spices, but forgot the sugar. Wouldn't have been a big deal if I used all honeycrisp, but had quite a few granny smiths in there. Couldn't figure out why it just wasn't that good until later.

Is anyone else in crockpot mania this week? With the weather changing all I can think about is what next to make in the crockpot.