Monday, April 02, 2007

Oh well

Tonight's Menu

  • rockfish in foil packets
  • chuffed potatoes
  • leftover roasted asparagus
  • leftover big-ass salad
My supermarket had rockfish, which I think is maybe a type of cod but I'm not 100% sure, for cheap today so I thought I'd try it. Aaaaand ... I don't think I'll be trying it again.

I cut it into serving-sized pieces and layered them in foil packets with paper-thin onion slices, thyme, salt, pepper, EVOO and some white wine. It was flavorful I GUESS, but I didn't care for the texture. Maybe the bastardized en papillote thing was a bad idea, I don't know. But all things considered, I'd rather have had salmon. I am a fatty fish kind of gal at heart.

2 comments:

The Raving Badger said...

Rockfish is tricky. And not something most people eat a whole lot of, so try this one. Great thing about it is you have to open a bottle of wine. (If you don't, you can substitute vermouth in a slightly lesser quantity- works for scampi, too)

Rockfish WIth Lemon Beurre Blanc

4 lemons, juiced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup canola oil
6 (8-ounce) rockfish fillets, boned and skinned (alternatives: rock cod, pacific snapper or striped bass)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup softened butter

Prepare the lemon beurre blanc sauce by combining the lemon juice, wine and cream in a 1-quart saucepan and simmering on medium heat until reduced by half the volume. Meanwhile, heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Dredge fish fillets in flour and saute in the hot skillet until golden brown. Remove fish from heat and let rest. When the sauce has thickened, slowly whisk in the butter. Place fish on platter, and drizzle sauce around and over the fish to serve.

Badger said...

Ooo, that sounds awesome if I can manage not to break the sauce. Thanks!