Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day "picnic"

Tonight's Menu

  • bbq pork spareribs
  • grilled garlic toast
  • potato-artichoke salad
  • coleslaw
Okay, so it was too hot to eat outside. But I grilled a lot of stuff! Does that count?

The spareribs were my usual, finished on the grill (meat side down over medium heat for 4 minutes, meat side up and slathered in Carolina-style barbecue sauce for 4 minutes, rest before cutting into riblets).

I grill everything from meat to veggies to fruit, but I think this might have been my first time grilling bread! We had some leftover boule (yes, from the book -- I SWEAR I don't have any relationship with the authors/publisher) so I cut that into half-inch slices, brushed it on both sides with olive oil (LIGHTLY -- you don't want to soak it), and grilled it over high heat until it picked up some grill marks, which didn't take long at all. Then I rubbed a cut garlic clove over both sides of each slice of bread. So easy, yummy and fresh tasting! The girl particulary loved this bread. Of course, she lives on bread, so take that with a grain of salt, maybe.

The salad was my favorite summer salad. It's finally summery enough to serve this again, yay!

And the coleslaw was my usual, except I used savoy cabbage because that's what I had.

Here's the timeline:
  • Three and a half hours before serving, rub the ribs with spices and put them in the oven at 325 degrees F, TIGHTLY covered with foil.
  • Make potato salad and coleslaw after putting ribs in oven; put both salads in fridge.
  • Thirty minutes before serving, light grill and pull ribs out of oven.
  • Grill ribs as described above.
  • Remove ribs from grill; cover with foil and let rest.
  • Grill bread and remove.
  • Cut ribs into riblets.
  • Pull salads out of fridge.
  • Serve it up!

No comments: