Sunday, March 04, 2007

Sausage sandwiches

Tonight's Menu

  • sweet Italian sausage sandwiches w/peppers and onions
  • coleslaw
I love grilled sausage but when it comes to the fresh (as opposed to smoked/cured) variety, I am paranoid about getting them cooked all the way through. So what I do is simmer them in water on the stove for about 15 minutes or so, then grill them just to get them brown and crisp up the skins. Tonight I used my grill pan because it was a little bit too chilly to grill outdoors. I sauteed some sweet yellow onion along with red and yellow bell peppers in EVOO, seasoned them with salt and pepper, and served the whole thing in fresh wheat rolls from the bakery. Yum!

Now that I have the hang of making coleslaw from scratch, I will never buy it prepared again! It's so easy to shred cabbage with a nice sharp knife, and creamy coleslaw dressing is a cinch. For one head of cabbage, use about 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 2 Tbs. sugar and 2 Tbs. white vinegar. Sometimes I add a teaspoon or so of celery seed. Mix it all together until it's smooth, then toss with the shredded cabbage and chill for a couple of hours. It really takes no time at all.

No comments: