Monday, March 26, 2007

Oven brisket

Tonight's Menu

  • oven-cooked brisket
  • tiny red potatoes, parboiled then chuffed up in a hot pan with butter
  • fresh green beans with onions and bacon
I was kind of scattered/spastic this evening so THANK GOD I didn't fark up the brisket. I rubbed it with a mixture of brown sugar, dry mustard, salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder and dried oregano, then whomped it into a roasting pan and cooked it with the lid on for 1.5 hours at 300 degrees F. But then I kept turning it down -- first to 250, then to 200 -- during the next 1.5 hours because I was afraid it was getting too done. Miraculously, it turned out tender and delicious. I have no idea how that happened. I think it was pure luck.

The boy made the potatoes. He's getting quite good at it! This time he got to do the prep and parboiling as well as the chuffing.

I made the green beans the only way I know how*. Snap off the stem ends and wash, then set aside. Chop some onion and bacon and start the bacon in a hot pan until it's about halfway cooked (half the fat rendered; starting to brown and curl just a bit). Then add the onion and cook until the bacon is crisp and the onion has gone translucent. Add the green beans and enough water to just barely cover them. Stir in a tablespoon of brown sugar, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for about 20 minutes on low heat. Strain off and serve. Yum!

*This is a lie. I know other ways. I just like them like this.

No comments: