Saturday, May 05, 2007

Crock-Pot pork

Tonight's Menu

  • Crock-Pot barbecued pork on buns
  • homemade coleslaw
  • sweet corn on the cob
Super easy dinner tonight.

For the pork, all I did was slice an onion in half lengthwise, reserving one half and slicing the other half cross-wise. I put the onion in the bottom of the crockpot, stuck a pork roast on top (I used loin because it's lean, but you could use whatever), dumped in a bottle of barbecue sauce and cooked it all on low for 8 hours or so before shredding and serving on buns.

The coleslaw was just shredded cabbage tossed with a mixture of mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar and celery seed.

The corn was fresh, cleaned and then wrapped in wax paper before being steamed in the microwave.

If you make the coleslaw right after you start the meat and just stick it in the fridge all day, you can have this dinner on the table in 10 minutes.

3 comments:

Noneofyour... said...

What BBQ sauce did you use? I realize that a "sweeter" bbq sauce works better...but being an "Austin girl" for 35 years...Stubbs is KING! Not sure I would try it with this recipe though...so what kind did you use?

Badger said...

It was HEB's house brand, "Sweet & Smokey". I don't think I'd waste Stubbs on a crockpot dish, but it WOULD be tasty!

Sabrina said...

Hi, Came by your blog after reading about in the NY Times today. And I'm going to try the crockpot pork this weekend and I'm using Stubbs. Here's why: I'm an former Austinite/native Texan living in Maryland and I can get Stubbs at my local market. It's the only BBQ sauce my native-New-Yorker-husband-who-lived in-Austin-for-12-years-before-living-in MD-will-eat. I'll let you know. Thanks for the blog!