Wednesday, September 26, 2007

It's all gravy, all the time up in here

Tonight's Menu

  • chicken-fried steak with cream gravy
  • mashed potatoes
  • green salad
Oh my God. I am so full. I seriously need to stop with the gravy, y'all.

Um, so, chicken-fried steak! It's a Texas thing, dontcha know! I make mine with tenderized cube steaks. Cut them in serving sizes if they aren't already, dredge them in seasoned flour, then in an egg/milk wash, then back in the flour. THEN -- and this is key, because it keeps the breading from falling off -- let them sit for half an hour. Heat about half an inch of oil (I use canola) in a heavy, high-sided skillet, dredge the steaks in the seasoned flour one more time before putting them in the pan, and fry them on both sides until golden brown and cooked through.

I used a mix for the gravy. I KNOW. I am horrible at making gravy, and the mix (Pioneer, I think it was) was fat-free. I jazzed it up with salt and pepper and it was okay. Shut up.

This is a really REALLY heavy/filling meal. I could barely eat dessert. Ha!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I just posted about my Country (Chicken) Fried Steak yesterday... with instructions for the gravy.

Country Fried Steak with Gravy for the Gravy-Phobic

I looooooove country fried steak. Can you explain why it's called chicken-fried?
And that's a great idea to let them sit for half an hour. I'll try that next time.

Melissa said...

thanks for the tip on leaving it for a half hour. I will try that for sure.

though I lived in texas for 11 years, and did have a few of these meals, I actually prefer chicken fried chicken. ;)

Mrs. Garlic said...

yum, chicken fried steak. however, i have a fear of frying. maybe it's because i attempt to be health-concious or maybe because i truly am afraid.