Saturday, August 12, 2006

Day 80

Adult Menu
  • grilled flank steak
  • steamed broccoli
  • homegrown tomatoes, a medley of sliced big 'uns and teeny cherries
Girl Child
Had broccoli and a bacon/egg/cheese Toaster Scrambles.

Boy Child
Had some steak and a bunch of broccoli.

I'm really happy with how the flank steak turned out tonight. I didn't have a chance to marinate it, so instead I got out my mortar and pestle and bashed up three large garlic cloves, about a tablespoon of kosher salt (more or less), some cracked pepper, the juice from one large lemon, and some EVOO. The steak was pre-tenderized but if it hadn't been, I would have made diamond cuts on both sides. Then I just rubbed the garlic slurry into all the little grooves of the meat and grilled it for 4-5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Cut across the grain into thin strips and devour. It was REALLY flavorful considering it didn't marinate at all. I think the key was using a pooload of garlic.

No comments: