Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Yummy delicious CARBS

Tonight's Menu

  • spaghetti marinara
  • leftover green salad with lettuce FROM THE GARDEN!
DH has been shunning carbs (except potatoes, for which he has a weakness) for quite a while now, and when I told the kids that he was working late tonight and therefore we'd be having spaghetti, you would have thought I'd told them we were having ice cream for dinner. They were SO EXCITED. I think the boy ate a couple of pounds of spaghetti all on his own.

I've been told that my marinara sauce is not TECHNICALLY an actual marinara, but the degree to which I DO NOT CARE cannot be adequately expressed. It's a vegetarian tomato sauce, a'ight? I don't know from marinara.

Here's how I make it: take a can of Del Monte diced tomatoes with onion and garlic and combine it with a small can of tomato paste. If you don't like a chunky sauce, you can do this in a blender. Otherwise just stir them together in a saucepan. Stir in a little water; the sauce will thin just a bit during the cooking process so use your judgment here. Stir in 4-6 Tbs. of sugar, depending on how sweet you like your sauce. Add some dried oregano and basil; again, however much you want. Bring it to a boil, then cover and reduce the heat. Simmer for as long as it takes the pasta to cook.

There's a story behind this recipe but I've had a couple of sidecars (they go GREAT with Italian food, by the way) and can't be arsed to tell it right now.

1 comment:

Georgette said...

Hi Badger! I'm a fellow Austinite and like you, I love to cook. I read your last few posts and laughed about the HEB strip steak aka gristle and your oven roasted potatoes. Can I recommend cooksillustrated.com to you-- get an online membership, it's cheaper, and they're wonderful especially because they explain WHY certain recipes, cooking techniques etc work better- from a science perspective- so you can adopt those techniques to your other recipes. I love CI and no, don't work for them-- just love cooking and eating.

Keep blogging, I love it!

Georgette