Saturday, June 16, 2007

We now resume regular programming

Tonight's Menu

  • garlicky grilled flank steak
  • quinoa pilaf
  • yet another green salad with lettuce from the garden
Hey! Look at me! I get all famous and then piss off for a couple of days without posting! Sorry about that. Thursday night the kids and I had leftover spaghetti (DH worked late again) and Friday was Pizza And A Movie Night here at Casa Badger.

But tonight? Yeah. MORE GRILLING.

Flank steak was the usual deal. So yummy. I actually CRAVE this steak from time to time, and I absolutely love that it can be done at the last minute with no marinating.

For the quinoa, I cooked it according to package directions (1 cup dry quinoa, 2 cups water, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes before turning off the heat and letting it sit, covered, until you're ready for it). Then I sweated out some diced onions and chopped mushrooms in a skillet, along with some chopped artichoke hearts (canned, unmarinated -- you could also use frozen if you thaw them first). After the quinoa was done I dumped about half of it into the veggie mixture and seasoned with salt and pepper. The other half I served plain for the kids.

I am getting SUCH a kick out of going out to the garden to "pick a salad". The cucumbers and carrots aren't quite ready, but the lettuce has been going gangbusters, and I've been harvesting 2-3 cherry tomatoes per day. Whee!

2 comments:

BreadBox said...

That's better. Everyone step away from the NYTimes train wreck. Okay, you, whatsyourname? Badger? back to blogging....


Glad to have you back, Badger....

Anonymous said...

Sounds really good. I would love to have a veggie garden, but it doesn't really make sense in an apartment, does it?
Fresh tomatoes and cucumbers...mmmmmm.