Sunday, January 28, 2007

And now for something completely different

Tonight's Menu
  • shrimp scampi with spaghetti squash
  • leftover crusty multigrain bread
  • leftover crisp green salad
I used this recipe for tonight's dinner, which was WAY yummy. I used fresh shrimp instead of frozen, and I cooked my spaghetti squash in the oven instead of the microwave because it does a better job of caramelizing the sugars and thus bringing out the flavor of the squash.

I am a big fan of spaghetti squash but I don't cook it very often because DH doesn't like squash. You can cook it in the microwave but all that does is steam it, and I like it roasted. As mentioned above, this caramelizes the sugars in the squash and just oomphs up the flavor a bit. I had DH cut it in half lengthwise (because I'm too damn wimpy to do it myself), then put it cut side down on a foil-lined baking sheet. Stick it in the oven for about 30 minutes at 375 degrees F (more or less, depending on the size of the squash). Scoop out the seeds and the center pulp, then use a fork to shred the flesh into strings. It's a nice, healthful alternative to pasta and really does have a great flavor.

This particular recipe (linked above) was really good, with the butter and olive oil and whatnot. Even DH liked it, and he HATES squash of all kinds!

Oh, and Vinho Verde is the PERFECT accompaniment to this dish. Just so you know.

No comments: