Friday, January 26, 2007

A cook-in!

Because it's winter, and too cold to cook OUT, silly!

Tonight's Menu
  • oven-smoked beef brisket
  • cornbread from scratch
  • Ranch beans from a can
  • coleslaw from scratch
No, I don't have an indoor smoker, more's the pity. What I did was rub the brisket with a bunch of spices and crap (brown sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, dry mustard, Jane's Krazy salt and freshly ground pepper) as usual. It was a small brisket and I didn't want to put it in my giant roasting pan, but I don't have a rack for my small pan, so instead I wadded up some tinfoil and stuck that in the bottom of the pan, the put the brisket on top. I added a bit of water to the pan and splashed in a few drops of liquid smoke (the mesquite variety), then covered the pan and cooked it 3-4 hours on about 200 degrees F. It got really tender and yummy and had a nice smoky flavor.

Brisket is really cheap down here and aside from the fat pad (which I leave on during cooking to keep the meat moist) it's solid meat. If you cook it "low and slow" it comes out really tender and can be sliced or shredded. Some people sauce theirs but I prefer a dry rub. Yum!

No comments: