Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Steak and potatoes

Tonight's Menu
  • NY strip steaks on the grill pan
  • roasted assorted mushrooms
  • tiny red potatoes, parboiled then chuffed up in a hot pan with butter
  • the last of the leftover big-ass salad
Tonight's dinner was freakin' AWESOME. If I do say so myself.

Okay, first the steaks: I minced a garlic clove and bashed it up (actually the boy child did; he's been helping me make dinner for the past week) with some EVOO in the mortar & pestle, then set it aside to steep while the steaks came to room temperature. I rubbed the steaks with the garlicky oil goodness, sprinkled with kosher salt & freshly ground pepper, and seared them off in a screaming hot grill pan for maybe 3-4 minutes per side (these were approximately 1.5-inch steaks, not the super-thin ones I usually get). I put them on a warmed plate and covered them with foil for maybe 5 minutes to make sure they weren't too bloody for DH. They were a perfect medium rare with a nice crust -- DELICIOUS!

For the mushrooms, they had this nice assortment of various fresh 'shrooms (shiitakes, oysters, chanterelles, etc.) for stir fry at the store. I just cleaned them up a bit, tossed them in a baking pan with some EVOO, salt & pepper and roasted them at 450 degrees F for maybe 20 to 25 minutes, stirring every now and then. They had a nice earthy flavor that really complimented the meat.

I made the potatoes the same way as always, and we ate up the last of the salad. I washed it all down with a couple of glasses of pinot.

SO yummy, y'all.

No comments: